A whole bunch about us you may have never wanted to know.

Saturday, April 2, 2011

April Fool's

So this year's April Fool's joke food ended up being a bit harder than I imagined. Tyler has been home from school with a fever all week, so I had to make it while he was home. I had planned on making a "pizza" and telling them it was their after-school snack. I planned to even bake a real pizza so the smell was legit.

Well, I had to put the pizza together piece by piece so I wouldn't get caught. I figured I could keep it easily from Shayla, but it was a little harder from Tyler. But I did it! I got it put together and put in the oven.



I had purchased the ingredients early (phew!), and I baked the cake that morning. I also made cupcakes in case Tyler asked about the smell (which oddly he didn't). I made frosting and colored it red and grated white chocolate. I had intended to buy fruit roll-ups, and when I went to get them they had writing all over them. Aaaggghhh! So I got the fruit-by-the-foot roll-ups and hoped they would work. The next time I was at the store I saw some fruit strips in the baby aisle and thought they might look more like pepperoni, so I grabbed them. Good thing, because the fruit-by-the-foot roll-ups had a wavy pattern that would have never worked! So I used the baby strips instead. Phew! At the last minute I also decided to cut up a green jelly bean to make it look like green peppers. I think it ended up looking pretty real, although a little small:

Anyway, I actually fooled Becca for a little bit. Then when she got close enough she said, "What is that?" I said (while giving her THE look), "It's a PIZZA." She got it and dropped it. Tyler didn't say a thing -- he just ate it. (Not sure if this means he cared or not that it wasn't pizza.) Shayla said, "Why does everything on it taste so good?" What a cutie! Before Zachary got to the table with his slice he said, "This isn't pizza!"

So, another joke down, and I had everyone for at least a second. My kids are getting too smart. I'll have to stick with breakfast things before they get to school and reminded that it's April Fool's Day. Keep the ideas comin! :)

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Love it!! It turned out so cute! I did the food coloring in the bowl with cereal. The kids all got a chuckle out of that!

the Rowleys said...

You fooled my kids, they believe it's a pizza on your blog. :)

Our Corner said...

This is so FUN! I love it! :)

Lizzylou said...

Love it! You are so creative. The pictures turned out great. I am so behind in the picture taking department. Poor Jacob!

Carol said...

It's always so fun to see what you will come up with for April Fools--this one didn't dissapoint! and how cute to see how all the kidlets responded. Hope Tyler is better.