A whole bunch about us you may have never wanted to know.

Saturday, December 8, 2007

Craziness

One of our Christmas traditions is to get new P.J.'s every year on Christmas Eve. Now as a mom I understand more why my parents started the tradition. 1) We need new pajamas every year, so why not make getting them fun?; and 2) Then you look at least a little better in those Christmas morning pictures.

I decided this year I would try to save a little money and sew the p.j.'s for my boys. I was just going to make p.j. bottoms, but then I had enough extra material to make tops, too. However, I didn't have enough for sleeves, so I had to buy additional material for sleeves. Then I remembered that I had forgotten to buy ribbing for the necks. Turns out the fabric store near us doesn't have white ribbing. I settled for a knit fabric and am hoping it will work.

I think the funniest thing about making these jammies is that as I was cutting out the different prints I noticed again and again the material saying, "NOT INTENDED FOR USE IN CHILDREN'S SLEEPWEAR." I laughed every time I saw it. Obviously I'm making jammies -- and I'm hoping the children will wear them to sleep!

I'm not too worried, though. During a childbirth class when we were expecting Tyler six years ago, a fellow classmate was anxious that she had bought an outfit that said it was not intended for sleepwear. She panicked about putting her baby down for a nap in this clothing. The teacher assured her it was okay, and that children's sleepwear had to meet certain flammability requirements. Then a couple from Europe asked, "Flammable? Do you mean fire?" When the teacher answered in the affirmative, they looked at her like she was nuts.

That was the first time I also realized how nuts we are here in this country. If my baby is in a fire, the non-flammable p.j.'s are sure not going to save his/her life. So, I'm not going to worry about putting my kids in non-flammable clothes to sleep. That would require me to actually put them INTO pajamas every night. I'll focus instead on seatbelts, vitamins and no running with scissors ...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We too just made jammies and the fabric said not intended for childens sleepware. Oh, well! I figure with all the chemicals in the fabric it probably does more harm than good right? Does this mean we shouldn't make blankets or anything else for our children any more either?