A whole bunch about us you may have never wanted to know.

Monday, December 3, 2007

Christmas Season ...

Well, we never found our tree stand, but we did get a new one from my sister. So our tree is up and looking pretty. And thanks to Paul's mom and Hilary, we already have presents under the tree! So far no mishaps with an 18-month-old, either ... why, oh, why do I feel the need to jinx myself ...

So, last blog I complained about the traffic during Christmastime. It's true, I don't really like the crowded roads or stores. However, I failed to mention how much I LOVE this season! I love how friendly and giving people are in December. Can you even imagine how awesome our country would be if people were that kind and giving all year round?

We also got our first real snow of the season this weekend. That definitely makes me feel more in the Christmas spirit. Of course, I associate snow with Christmas since I grew up in Utah. However, I am SO grateful that the Savior was born in the spring in the Middle East instead of a snowstorm in Utah in December.

Speaking of this sacred event, I've recently had a new insight into His birth. We've always seen and portrayed the innkeeper as being rude or heartless for turning them away from the inn, which had no room. However, inns at the time were basically just a big room where people gathered to eat and sleep. So could it be possible that the innkeeper actually was a very kind-hearted, good man who offered a place for Mary to be out of the public eye during childbirth? I can't imagine how awful that would be to deliver a baby in front of a bunch of strangers. How much better to have privacy during such a sacred moment.

Of course, I'm not saying a stable is where anyone would want to give birth. And now that I've had babies of my own, I can't imagine how wonderful Mary was to give birth without a midwife or her mom. However, I'm sure she and Joseph were inspired to know how to safely deliver the Savior into the world. What a wonderful, blessed, amazing thing it is that we get to celebrate every year!

By the way, I got this insight from an awesome series of historical fiction set in the time of the Savior's ministry. It's the Kingdom and the Crown series by Gerald Lund -- I highly recommend it. I don't particularly enjoy Lund's writing style, but the insights I have gained about cultures of the time have helped me appreciate and understand the New Testament even more. (I read them years ago and am starting them again now.)

Anyway, I hope you all enjoy all the great things that happen during this wonderful holiday season. And most of all I hope you remember He who we celebrate.

No comments: