A whole bunch about us you may have never wanted to know.

Thursday, December 27, 2007

What REALLY matters

Hilary found out last week that her husband is being laid off between now and Jan. 7. What horrible news right before the holidays. She's having a great attitude about it and exercising her faith well. They've been very blessed to always have something work out when situations like this have happened in the past.

The day after Lee was laid off I found out that a friend's wife was in the garage of a house that blew up, killing the two people inside. It made me so emotional to think how close she had been and what she had to witness and experience. I called Hilary and say, "Who cares if Lee doesn't have a job! He's alive!!!"

I have these reminders again and again about the preciousness of life, and yet somehow it doesn't sink in enough to really make me be who I need to be. Does anyone else have this problem? I know what I can do to improve, and I want to do it, but then I just don't -- because of tiredness, busy-ness, or forgetfulness (emphasis on forgetfulness)! How do you truly change your heart when you get so busy doing laundry, making dinner and keeping kids happy that you just forget? It's not even that I'm too busy with extra-curricular things that we can cut out ... although I'd love to cut out making dinner most nights! :)

Anyway, I've been pondering for several days how really important it is to live our faith, to serve others and to be the best us we can be. And it is essential to cherish every moment we have with our kids and family members. Of course, it's always easier said than done, especially when the kids drive me nuts!

However, I hope that when next Christmas rolls around that I FEEL like I've done better and improved my relationship with the Savior. After all, that's really the most important thing we can do in this life -- build our relationship with the Savior and teach our children (through words and example) to do the same.

I'm grateful to have so many inspiring friends and family members who love me and motivate me and pick me up on the days I'm feeling down. Thank you. I love you all!!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Couldn't agree more with this...thanks for the reminder. It is so easy to loose focus on what's really important and what great blessings I have. Hope you and your family have a great New Year's!