A whole bunch about us you may have never wanted to know.

Friday, November 6, 2009

The Family is of God

So, I complained about the torture of having to help Paul in Primary. What I failed to mention is that it wasn't complete torture. :) I was able to sit with them in sharing time when they were preparing for the upcoming primary program (this Sunday).

I am familiar with most of the primary hymns, but in the past few years I notice the programs include several songs that aren't in the book. When they sang one on Sunday, it just touched me. Mind you, we have this on CD with all the songs for the program this year, and we listen to it almost every time we are in the car. But somehow I've never really listened to it or thorught about the words:

Our Father has a family. It's me!
It's you, all others too: We are His children.
He sent each one of us to earth, through birth,
To live and learn here in families.

(Chorus)
God gave us families
to help us become what He wants us to be --
This is how He shares His love,
for the family is of God

A father's place is to preside, provide,
To love and teach the gospel to his children.
A father leads in family prayer to share
Their love for Father in Heaven

Chorus

A mother's purpose is to care, prepare,
To nurture and to strengthen all her children.
She teaches children to obey, to pray,
To love, and serve in the family.

Chorus

I'll love and serve my family and be
A good example to each family member.
And when I am a mom or dad, so glad,
I'll help my family remember

God gave us families
to help us become what He wants us to be --
This is how He shares His love,
for the family is of God

(Words and music by Matthew Neeley)

I feel so blessed that Heavenly Father put is in families. You look at His creations, and they aren't all this way! Some hatch and live alone; others are nurtured for a couple of years and then leave to be on their own. As humans we are nurtured for 18 or so years before leaving home, but our nurturing and family relationships continue throughout life!

I was so blessed with wonderful parents. They took what they were given in life and made life better for their children. I am eternally grateful to them for this. They are the most unselfish people I know, and anyone who has met them would agree with me whole-heartedly.

I have seven siblings, and I realize what a blessing a large family is. I can't imagine my life without any one of them in it. There are definitely some who would not "naturally" be friends if we weren't siblings, which makes me even more grateful that we were put in a family together. After all, according to this song, God gave us families to help us become what He wants us to be. Not what I want to become, but what He wants me to be. And all of my family has influenced me to be who I am today, and I hope my influence on them has been a positive one. (Of course after this song I'll work on that a little more. :)

My "new" family -- my wonderful husband and four kids -- is also a huge blessing that makes my life so happy and complete. Sometimes I just am amazed that now I'm the mom. Seriously, I'm not wise enough or unselfish enough to be doing this! But this song reminds me that my goals are to nurture and strengthen my children, especially in the gospel. If I can teach them to love and to serve, then I will be a success as a mother. No pressure, huh?

In any case, I look forward to the primary program this weekend, and I'm sure this song will touch me even more as I have pondered it throughout the week. The family -- with all of its parts of mom, dad, and children -- truly is of God. After all, it is one "small" way in which He shares His love. Thank goodness!

3 comments:

Marilee said...

We have our sacrament program this week too and every time they practice this song, I tear up. They have it being done in parts. Which makes the song even neater. They have the 1st verse sung with a father and his 4 kids, the 2nd verse is a group of girls, the 3rd verse is a brother and sister, and we all sing the chorus. Having each group sing a different verse really makes you think and feel the spirit.

Bruce & Sylvia said...

Our program is in 2 weeks. We are not doing this song. I am going to see if I can find it online. We are doing "I am a builder". I thank you for the compliment and feel very inadequate. Love you Mom

Lizzylou said...

What a good post! I love that song too. I'm excited to hear the program also. I love the part that they sing "strong and righteous" so forcefully in the song "I am a builder". Children sure can bring the spirit. We have some great kids in our ward, I feel blessed to get to know them better.