A whole bunch about us you may have never wanted to know.

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Primary Programs ...

Since having kids, I love the annual primary program at church. This is for two reasons:
  1. First and best reason of all: It gives me a one-week break from trying to keep my kids quiet during Sacrament meeting. Love that!
  2. Oh, and the second reason: It's fun to watch my own kids try to sing the songs, especially when they don't know all the words.

I had plans for both this year, and both backfired on me badly. Okay, I guess I did get a break from trying to keep MY primary-aged kids quiet during Sacrament meeting; however, since I had Hilary's little girl I wasn't free. Of course I still had Shayla, so I wouldn't have been completely free even without Brynne, but with only one child there are no fights to break up. I discovered quickly that it was best to keep these two separated. But that was easy enough. Now on to my second problem ...

I couldn't see either one of my kids! Tyler was just an unfortunate event -- he sat right behind the podium. I had gotten there early enough to get a center seat (which is impressive since my ward is an early-arriving ward). I was happy about this since I have the knack for always choosing the wrong side to sit on to see my kids during programs. So, in the middle I thought I was safe. Not so. I even moved over five seats and still couldn't see him. Sigh ... so I move on to see how Zachary is doing.

I was a little worried about Zachary, because Tyler left him in the dust going up to the stage, so he was too scared to go up alone. I asked Becca to walk him up while the kids were still going up, but she just took him to the aisle and pointed to the stage. He got up on the stage but got scared and came back down with the saddest look on his face. So, Becca took him and pointed out his Primary teacher so he would get the courage to go up on stage. And he did. So, how was he doing now? WHO KNOWS?!? I don't know who planned the seating chart, but why on earth would you put 11-year-old boys in front of the 4-year-olds?!?

Needless to say, I spent the first half of the program just annoyed! I mean REALLY annoyed. Then I got a bright idea -- I could go stand on the side holding Shayla and probably see at least Tyler. So I did. I guess having Shayla to look after DID come in handy so I didn't look like a pathetic parent just trying to see her kids. Bingo. I could see Tyler. He spotted me pretty quickly and started doing a YMCA-song type thing with his arms. (He later told me that he was spelling Mom with his arms. Thanks, son!)

Eventually Zachary moved a little to the left and the 11-year-old boy in front of him moved a little to the right, so I could see Zachary. Boy did he look cute doing his sign language during that particular song. Tyler did, too, now that I could see him.

Zachary was very flushed by the time the program was over, but he did it. And I even got to see some of it. I guess that'll satisfy me for another year.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I always love to watch the primary program as well. But with my three kids I never hear a word they are saying durring sacrament meeting. London needs to visit the restroom at least three times durring sacrament meeting, and one or all three like to start screaming or fighting over toys. All five of us usually end up in the hall with some of the other parents. I liked all the pictures that you posted. Keep up the good work