A whole bunch about us you may have never wanted to know.

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Pumpkin Carving

Halloween is almost here ...




Carving pumpkins is always fun. It seems that every year I think somehow I'm going to get away with just using a spoon to get out the seeds, but it always turns out that I have to ditch the spoon and just dig into the gooey mess with my bare hands. Maybe I'm just old if I don't WANT to dig it out w/o a spoon in the first place.

I love that Zachary drew hair and a goatee (or as he calls it, a go-a-tee) on his pumpkin. Tyler had drawn out a picture of what he wanted his jack-o-lantern to look like, and he had me cut it just like the picture. Becca messed up on hers, which made her a little grumpy. She got really grumpy when Paul fixed her error with a couple of toothpicks. Now she no longer had a reason to be grumpy, which made her even more grumpy!

Anyway, we haven't cooked the seeds in a while, but our kids have survived w/o eating them once again this year. However, Tyler did save several seeds so he can plant them and grow pumpkins in our back yard. Hmmm ... I guess there's no harm in trying. I did hear someone who said their best-grown watermelons ever were from their kids spitting out their seeds in the dirt. Tyler took his seeds to school in a Ziploc to show his classmates. I found them the other day growing mold, so I tossed them without him seeing (which is not easy to do in this house! Sometimes I feel like the kids have "garbage patrol" to make sure I haven't tossed anything "important"). So, for now we'll stick to buying pumpkins from Maceys when they go on sale for 9 cents a pound. :)

No comments: