A whole bunch about us you may have never wanted to know.

Sunday, November 18, 2007

The Golden Compass

Have you heard of the movie The Golden Compass? It's set to come out in a couple of weeks, and it has anti-religious themes. Apparently the writer, an athiest, wanted to write a trilogy to combat the Christian theme of The Chronicles of Narnia. This movie (The Golden Compass starring Nicole Kidman) is based on the first book, and in the third book the kids actually kill God. (To verify the facts, visit snopes.com.)

Now here's my question for you: If you're an athiest, how do you kill God? Isn't that an oxymoron ... emphasis on moron? If you're athiest, you don't believe in God, so how can you kill Him? Just goes to show how even those who profess to NOT believe in a sense believe.

Reminds me of a quote from LDS prophet Spencer W. Kimball: "One theologian indicated it was impossible for man to find God or know God. This is like saying: 'I have never climbed Mt. Ararat -- no one can climb Ararat; or, I have never bathed in the clear warm waters of the Adriatic -- there is no Adriatic Sea; or, I have never seen the wild life in Kruger Park -- there is no Kruger Park; or, I have always had health -- therefore, the pain which people claim, must be a figment of their imaginations. I have never astronauted into space; therefore, no one can speed through space.' How different then is it to say I have never heard nor seen God -- therefore, no man has ever seen nor heard God nor walked with Him. How presumptuous and arrogant for any man to say God is unapproachable, unknowable, unseeable, unhearable because that one himself has not prepared himself for the experience."

President Kimball also said, "The skeptic will some day either in time or eternity learn to his sorrow that his egotism has robbed him of much joy and growth." (Both quotes in 'Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Spencer W. Kimball, p. 239-240.)

I urge you to boycott seeing this film and instead make all those around you aware of its intent. Let's stand up for Christianity, right and good by saying that we won't buy into anti-religious movies and messages -- no matter what Hollywood star is promoting it.

1 comment:

Dashley said...

Derek and I were both laughing so so so hard Denise! Emphasis on Moron! hahahaha~ !! No doubt about it- we will have to skip that one. Thanks for the heads up. Makes me sad that people can have such hate in their hearts. I think I will watch the "Chronicles of Narnia" on "the golden compass" debut. :)