A whole bunch about us you may have never wanted to know.

Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Little Things

I'm always so glad when little things make me happy. Mind you, the big things (family, friends, health, etc.) are always something to be grateful about, but it's great when something small makes your day.

I had this thought this morning as I saw some construction on an intersection near my home. Grateful for construction? No, I'm not that crazy. But it reminded me of an experience I had last year -- something small and probably even stupid -- that made me giddy. That's right -- not just happy, but giddy!

A road near my home had been closed for altogether too long for construction. It was really inconvenient for many of us in Spanish Fork. I looked forward to the day they re-opened the road, and I even told people maybe I'd hang out at the construction site just to be the first one on the new road.

Okay, I have four kids. No hanging out anywhere I want to hang out ... as if I really WOULD want to hang out at a construction site. However, one day as I was driving home from the park with my boys, I saw a construction worker standing near the "Road Closed" sign. I figured out very quickly that he was going to stick it in the back of his truck and re-open the road.

I seriously could not believe my luck. My friend was coming home a few cars behind me and missed the whole thing, I later found out. Anyway, I turned on my blinker and waited a few seconds for him to get that sign into his truck. Then I turned onto the new road and was the first person to drive on the new road! I couldn't believe it!!! What luck! It was such a dumb, small thing, but I was giddy -- my kids and I were yelling and cheering, and I was laughing my head off.

I came home and called Paul immediately and shared the "great" news. He was happy for me. I also called my friend to see if she had noticed the open road (although only one person could be the first person to drive on it, and I had taken that privilege). She was excited for the open road, too, and I think she even got a kick out of me being the first person to drive on it ... or at least a kick out of how giddy I was about it.

Experiences like that make me wonder how many times Heavenly Father gives us little experiences and blessings just to make our day. I know I've done small things for my kids that I know will make them happy, so I don't know why He wouldn't do the same for us. Most people had no care in the world whether or not they were the first one on the road -- they just wanted it open. I thought it would be so cool, but I realized it would never happen. And then it did. Who says all miracles have to be spiritual and life-changing? :)

1 comment:

Dashley said...

Loved the story Denise! The best part was imagining you and the kids laughing the whole way home on that road. Reminds me of a story with my Grandpa Johnson. The first time he got somewhere quickly in Idaho Falls (because of a newly built bridge) he started singing, "they are coming to take me away- he he ha ha- to the funny farm!" :)