A whole bunch about us you may have never wanted to know.

Monday, November 26, 2007

Sharp Knives

So, we had some friends give us a really nice knife set. (Thanks again, Amp & Julie, for giving us a gift we don't deserve. :) Anyway, it is a really nice set from Cutco. Well, we've never had knives this sharp in our house.

I gathered the kids and told them that they are not allowed to use or touch the knives. I told them that one of the knives is even meant to cut through bone. Now, although this scared the boys a bit, it also intrigued them. Tyler asked if they could see the "bone knife." I obliged. They were fascinated while being scared out of their skin. So, later that evening I pulled out the cleaver (see below) to cut right through frozen chicken. I heard Tyler yell, "Zachary, she's going to use the bone knife!" I thought it funny until I realized Tyler was really nervous. When I was done cutting the chicken (without any problem, I might add), I heard Zachary yell, "Tyler, you can come out. She's done with the bone knife." Tyler asked, "Did she cut off her finger?" I assured him that I had not, and that I was really careful when I used those knives.



Well, apparently I'm not careful enough. Sure enough, Friday night when I was using a knife (not the "bone knife") I totally cut my finger. Now, just to clear myself, I was very careful while I was cutting with it. However, I wasn't quite as careful when I was washing it. Oops. That took off a chunk of my fingerprint. Anyone know if your fingerprint grows back the same?

Too late to matter now. I had to really make sure I didn't panic, because I'd already scared the kids enough with my little chat. Becca saw a lot of blood, so she said, "I'm glad you told me I couldn't use those knives!" (And then she watched me very carefully next time I cut something.) Tyler came in shortly after I had already bled through two band-aids (one on top of the other), so I had to non-chalantly tell Paul that I had cut my finger pretty bad. No chance of sympathy when you have to act cool so your kid doesn't freak out!

The cut actually is healing very quickly. Paul says it is because I made a nice, clean cut. Anyway, when our friends gave us the knives, I told them that now that I had nice knives I'd have to learn how to cook. I suppose I better learn how to cut things other than my fingers, first! (Or else buy A LOT more band-aids than we have on hand. :)

2 comments:

Brown Family said...

Denise~

I believe that you need "Adult" supervision to use these knives. I will add this to the list along with superglue...

--Paul

Dashley said...

Denise!!! AHHH! I hate cutting myself! What a totally awesome gift. I want some! Too bad cutco knives cost an arm and a leg- in your case literally. :)