A whole bunch about us you may have never wanted to know.

Monday, January 12, 2009

I agree with Facebook ...

So, I recently set up an account on facebook. This was mostly just to see some of my siblings' pages. I don't like it nearly as much as I like blogging, but it's kind of fun (and crazy) to have one place where friends from childhood, high school, college, mission, and single life in Seattle all merge in one place ...

In any case, there was a story on the news here recently that I thought was a very local story ... until I saw a friend from Seattle mentioning it on her page. It's about a woman who posted a picture of her nursing baby, and Facebook removed the photo after others complained about it. She is saying it's totally natural to nurse, and there should be nothing wrong with posting pictures of it.

Uh, I don't want to see you nursing. Now don't get me wrong, I'm fine with nursing, even in public, when it is done discreetly. However, I don't want to see any more than I have to! My question is this: Why would she WANT to post a picture of her nursing infant on a facebook page? And why don't some women think modesty rules apply when it comes to nursing?

Yes, breastfeeding is natural and good for babies. However, going to the restroom is natural and good for my body, but I'm NOT going to post pictures of it on facebook ... and I'm sure you'll all thank me for that! (There are reasons there are doors on bathrooms.)

Anyone who believes it doesn't affect people to be exposed to what I'll call blatant breastfeeding hasn't talked to my dad. He is STILL disgusted that he was exposed to a blatant breastfeeder when he was something like 10 years old. Hello, that was 50 years ago. Nothing natural about remembering something so horrific that you hoped nobody in the world knew you were related to the blatant breastfeeder.

In any case, I'm glad Facebook pulled the picture. Although some people didn't find it offensive, others don't find nudity, bad language or violence offensive. I'd rather they play it safe than sorry, even if a few people don't like it. After all, if nobody thought it was offensive it would still be posted now.

(On that note, I encourage you all to speak up when something is offensive so that things like that aren't left because nobody said anything ...)

No comments: