A whole bunch about us you may have never wanted to know.

Monday, March 9, 2009

Cute kiddos!

So, we stopped by the Asian food store Saturday to pick up a few items for egg rolls and a new recipe for Thai noodles. I generally try to stop by when I don't have all the kids, because it is a VERY small store. However, we were nearby and I decided I'd rather not have to drive back to Provo. (Yes, sometimes those 15 minutes feel like a lot more! :)

Paul said he wonders if they get curious to see a couple of two white people in the store. In the years I've been going there, I've only ever seen one other white couple, and they spoke some type of Asian language ... unlike Paul and I who are VERY white and VERY unable to speak any foreign languages, let alone an Oriental one! I think the owner picked up on that fact and was very surprised when I asked for a 50-lb bag of gluten rice. He said, "It 50 pound!" We said yes. He said, "It sticky." We said, "Yes, and we love it!" He seemed very surprised but rang us up.

He looked at our three youngest kids and said to Paul, "These kids all yours?" Paul answered him that yes, they were. He then smiled and said, "Oh, good job!" He then pointed to Shayla and said to the Asian woman behind Paul, "You need have one like this!"

I love it when other people think my kids are as cute as I do. :)

If anyone has any great Asian recipes to try (or Mexican, or Italian, or anything ... :) send 'em my way! We love new recipes, and I like to expose my kids to a variety of dishes so they're open to new things. I can't imagine how they won't LOVE the Thai noodles with peanuts in it, but we'll see ...

Oh, and a little note: If you are making any type of Asian food, the foods at the Asian store REALLY are tons cheaper than at the supermarket. I buy my soy sauce, curry, egg roll wrappers, etc. there. I've never priced tofu at the supermarket, but at the Asian store it was $1.40 for a large package of firm tofu I needed for my new recipe. Green onions are 33 cents per bunch, nice chopsticks are 10 pairs for 49 cents, etc., etc., etc. If you're ever going to buy a rice cooker, this is also a good place to go! (We actually steam our rice, so we don't use a rice cooker.) And if your kids DO come with you, they have fun treats for the kids that are totally new and different ...

3 comments:

Valerie said...

I'm just a stranger that popped onto your blog. You have such a cute family! I'd love to know what Asian store you like since I've never tried buying things at one before.

Dashley said...

I have been thinking about you because yesterday I bought girl scouts cookies and have already eatten a ton. I must say too that I think your kids are adorable and agree with the asian store owner. And can you make me your famous chinese food when I come to visit next time?

Jessica Brown said...

Good luck with the recipe!