A whole bunch about us you may have never wanted to know.

Sunday, March 22, 2009

Get me to the church on time

My family has a habit of arriving at church just as the meeting is getting started. I don't feel terrible about this, but I have been a little annoyed with myself that we're not getting to church before it starts. It seems that no matter how much time it seems we have, somehow we arrive right as it is starting.

So we had a little family meeting to discuss the issue and we made a plan to get to church on time. This morning we implemented the plan perfectly, and ... sure enough we got to church on time! Actually, we got there 10 minutes early. I was very happy ... at least for a moment ...

Now let me preface this with a warning that I guess I was feeling a little Laman/Lemuel-ish today. I was so happy to get to church on time (and actually get a seat on a bench!), and then a member of the primary presidency said, "Would you like to teach Tyler's class today?" Apparently there was a mix-up with the sub they had planned, so they needed a last-minute teacher for this class of seven 7-year-olds. Ugh! And to say, "Would you like to ..." I was honest. I said, "No, but I will."

Normally I really don't mind teaching primary here and there. But for whatever reason, today I was just annoyed by the whole thing. I love the teacher for Relief Society on the fourth Sundays, so I always look forward to her lessons, and now I had to miss it. I also had to miss part of what the Sacrament meeting speakers said so I could read through the lesson I was to teach.

By the end of church I was having a much better attitude, especially when I taught the kids about baptism and thought about how close Tyler is to being baptized. I think he'll be one of those lucky kids who gets to be baptized on his birthday. We're only five months away from him turning eight, and I am so excited to see his excitement grow over the next few months as he prepares. This class had only one girl who had been baptized, and it was fun to see them all talk about how soon they would be able to be baptized. We talked about Jesus' baptism and how they can follow His example by being baptized by someone with the priesthood of God.

Although I ended up with an okay attitude (definitely not a great one, but not nearly as ornery as I started), I may have to re-think the getting-to-church-on-time plan ...

3 comments:

the Rowleys said...

Good job on making your goal. I don't know how people with more than two get anywhere on time! And good job being a sub. Being in the primary presidency I know how hard it is to try to get subs. We have such a small primary, (only 6 teachers) and usuall 1 or 2 just don't show up. Parents are either busy during that time with another calling or refuse to teach, so with us usually a member of the presidency is teaching a class, and one is playing the piano! Which leaves one to teach sharing time!

Dashley said...

Just caught up on your blog- love the girls in their dresses and love the cake for Paul's birthday. You have creative talents!!

Theresa C said...

My family has a hard time getting to church on time, too. We were actually early yesterday, and I was very proud of my family for proving that we can be seated in a comfy bench BEFORE the opening song starts. (I had to say the opening prayer, and that was a great motivator. I don't want to do it every week... so I'm ok with being a little late).