A whole bunch about us you may have never wanted to know.

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

April Fool's

Has it really been almost a week since I posted?!? I guess I really have been busy ...

So, I enjoy a good April Fool's joke. Mind you, not many have pulled a really good one on me (in fact none that I can think of off-hand), but I pulled a great one on my parents years ago. I had received my mission call, but I spent a lot of time with a certain guy ... Needless to say, I stayed up on April Fool's Eve until midnight and then came home and told them I was engaged and not going on a mission. They fell for it completely. My mom couldn't sleep after that, even though I let them know right away I was joking.

In any case, I don't feel I can do such deceitful jokes to my kids. So, I've decided that every year I'll do a food joke. This year I fed them "grilled cheese sandwiches" for dinner:




Obviously they're not really grilled cheese. They're toasted angel food cake with whipped topping (colored orange) in the center.

Zachary didn't mind at all and didn't say a thing about the change:


Tyler wondered why they looked different. After taking a bite he asked if I put marshmallows inside with the cheese:


Becca asked what kind of bread I used. I said I used a different brand than normal. (True.) She wouldn't even take a bite, because upon inspection she realized it was too different and figured I had used fry sauce for the middle part. Why in the world would I waste good fry sauce???

Anyway, she was a bit more suspicious than the others, because she had been tricked several times already at school. In fact, she was insistent that April 1 is International Fish Awareness Day, and therefore she HAD to remember fish by wearing one on her forehead. Her friend insisted it was true, and she said the same thing last year, so it must be true, right? Okay, as if THAT wasn't a joke:


Anyway, I'm quite enjoying the food jokes, which I started last year with "chicken nuggets." They were actually sliced bananas covered in peanut butter and graham crackers. That one went off without a hitch.


Let me know if you have any ideas for next year!

1 comment:

Dashley said...

Awesome Denise! You are so creative! I never would have thought of doing that. Maybe instead of telling Derek about your blog I will try to do that to him.... hahahaha (you can't tell but that was my evil laugh)