A whole bunch about us you may have never wanted to know.

Monday, April 7, 2008

Kids get easier!!!

When Tyler and Zachary were smaller, I was often amazed at how much work they took. I went to several friends with older friends and out of desperation asked, "Please tell me it gets easier when they get older?" All of the friends I approached had the same reply: "It doesn't get easier, only different."

That was devastating. Having little kids is REALLY tiring. I also wondered if I would ever be able to take a shower for longer than 5 minutes without fear that the house was being destroyed while I was showering.

Well, now Tyler is 6 and Zachary is nearly 5. I have one thing to say to my dear friends who said this to me: YOU WERE WRONG!!! Kids definitely get easier! Yes, there are still challenges and messes and other craziness going on. However, it is definitely easier than those first few years.

I honestly think people just forget how tiring little kids are. I'm guessing that's what happened to my friends. I can't tell you how much easier it is when your child can walk instead of having to be carried everywhere; when they can buckle their own seatbelts; when they can feed themselves and tell you when they're hungry; when they can brush their own teeth and read their own books; when they can pour their own milk; when they can find their own snack; when they can put on their own shoes; when they go to school all day; when you can take a shower without major messes or crises happening in just a few minutes; etc., etc., etc.!!!

I just wanted to let my friends with only little kids (such as Marilee and Jennifer) know that it does get easier. Enjoy the times you have now, though, because they definitely aren't as adorable when they get older. I guess they make up by it for being a lot more fun! :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree that certain things are much easier when they have some independence. However, having both older and younger children the older ones just have new issues that drain me like fighting and refusing or just ignoring what they are asked of...like please don't drop your backback in the middle of the floor (this is whatI say everday it gets old!), or please go take a shower or please make your bed or please do your one chore of unloading the dishwasher. 2 hours latter you realize they didn't do a darn thing you asked of them! Your kids may not have hit that stage yet and hopefully they won't but, age 7-10 so far as proven to me to be the age in which their independence can sometimes be very frustrating especially when you still have those little ones to drain you!