A whole bunch about us you may have never wanted to know.

Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Spanish Fork

Why is it that when I say we live in Spanish Fork like 90 percent of the people say, "You mean Spanish Fark?" Did I say Spanish Fark? No, I did not. And aren't I the one living here and therefore the one who should know how to say it?


In reality I've heard about 100 times more people who don't live in Spanish Fork call it Spanish Fark than the people who do live here. Even when we were in Phoenix I mentioned to a stranger that we lived in Spanish Fork, Utah, and he said, "You mean Spanish Fark?"


It's Spanish Fork, not Spanish Fark. It's Boise, not Boize. It's Washington, not Warshington. It's Safeway, not Safeways. It's Fred Meyer, not Fred Meyers. (Although we have neither Safeway or Fred Meyer in Utah.) I'll leave it at that, although I could go on and on ...

1 comment:

Laura said...

All I can say is "AMEN" dear cousin! I'm glad to hear that annoyance runs in the family. Drives me nuts and I hear it all the time out here in the east!