A whole bunch about us you may have never wanted to know.

Monday, January 14, 2008

Dangerous Whale Watching

I've always wanted to see Orca whales in the wild. One day I think I'll have Lee fly me over some that are migrating. (I guess I should mention that part of his future to him ...) Anyway, I guess really any kind of huge whale would be cool to see.

My mom and sister just returned from a cruise where they went on a whale-watching expedition. Their pictures are phenomenal!!! So much so that I had to share them here. You'll have to excuse the vicarious living -- I'm not going to be going on a cruise anytime soon, so I figure I'll get excitement from someone else's fun. :)

I think had I known they were going to get this close to whales, I would have been worried the whole time. (What is it about becoming a mom that makes us women worry-warts?!?) Anyway, I was nervous about it even when they were home and safe and I realized that nothing HAD happened.

So, if you're going to get THIS close to whales, especially during mating season, please don't let me know until you're safely home. But once you are home, share the pics! These ones are just incredible. I almost can't stop looking at them ...

This is a tail, if you weren't sure:


And here is one jumping out of the water ... look how close it is ...


... but not nearly as high as this one! No zoom on this -- the guy's head in the picture is right in front of my loved ones!

I guess the whales also kept putting their fins up out of the water and then would slap them down. Look how huge that is!


I'm glad none of them jumped on, slapped (with fin or tail) or ate my loved ones since they sure were close enough!

By the way, Mom, isn't getting that close illegal? I let you leave the country for one week and already you're a criminal ... sigh ... I better start reigning you back in, I suppose ... In any case, WELCOME HOME!

No comments: