A whole bunch about us you may have never wanted to know.

Monday, January 28, 2008

Love to Gordon B. Hinckley

Last night I received the news that our beloved prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley had passed away. I knew that I loved this man, but I still was surprised at how emotional the news made me. This man was our prophet -- a man of God. However, he was so down-to-earth that he made me feel like I could do almost anything.

I felt a great love for President Hinckley for many reasons. However, I felt a personal connection to him for two: First, he signed my mission call on his second day of being prophet. Mine was one of the first calls to be signed by this wonderful man. I'm sure over his 13 years as prophet he signed thousands and thousands of mission calls calling missionaries to everywhere around the world. However, my call to the Georgia Macon Mission was one of his first. Awesome!

Second, he was Mr. PR for the church. Any of you who know me well enough know that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE public relations. I'd still be working in it today if I wasn't home with my kids, and I look forward to the day I can do it again. I mostly loved doing public relations for the church in Seattle. What better thing to do public relations for than something you love and know to be true -- the church with the fullness of the gospel of Jesus Christ?!? President Hinckley got to do that everyday as his full-time job, and he did wonders as a General Authority and Prophet of the church.

President Hinckley will be missed by millions around the world, but I'm sure there was a party in heaven last night. When I heard the news, all I could think was, "I bet he's dancing with Marjorie right now!" We love you President Hinckley -- thank you for wearing out your life (all 97 1/2 years of it) in service to people like me.

No comments: