A whole bunch about us you may have never wanted to know.

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Strange Symptoms

Last weekend Tyler started complaining about his leg hurting. He cried about having to walk on it and was dramatically limping around the house. I figured he was just tired and needing attention. When asked what he did to it, he said nothing.

Monday morning he woke up and said that his leg still hurt. Okay. I said to just get ready for school and it would be okay. He kept limping around, but I figured he'd forget about it once we picked up his friend Duncan to go to school. Then when they ran into the school when I dropped them off I noticed Tyler still limping. That's when I knew he had been serious.

So, that night he got a fever. I figured I better take him in. Hilary called and said that Aly's son had a leg pain and a fever, and that he had to get a bunch of tests done. Turns out it was strep for her son. (She said to get an antibiotic and save hundreds of dollars.) I guess leg pains are a symptom of strep, although not necessarily a common symptom.

I took Tyler in, and sure enough, he had strep. Oops, I guess the leg pain was real. Last time Tyler had strep he also had unusual symptoms -- the skin started peeling off of his face. The first time I noticed it I figured he had just been playing around and had rug burn. Then he woke up the next morning with more spots, so I took him in. Again, strep. What a strange thing to have so many strange, different symptoms. Here's a picture of Tyler when he had it last year:



It looked even worse when these spots scabbed over. We didn't get any pictures of that, I guess. We had scheduled our family pictures for that week, so we definitely re-scheduled. (By the way, the black eye has nothing to do with the strep. That has to do with running around the corner the same time as your cousin coming the other way ...) Hopefully next time he gets strep (should he get it again), he will just say, "Hey, mom, my throat hurts ..."

2 comments:

Laura said...

Wow, I had no clue strep could do that! Praying he feels better soon; poor guy. :(

Hilary said...

Wow, that's quite the picture of Tyler. Save that one for the slide show during his wedding reception!