A whole bunch about us you may have never wanted to know.

Sunday, February 3, 2008

Extremes

I have been at what feels like two extremes today. This morning I got an e-mail challenging me to read the Book of Mormon in 97 days to honor President Gordon B. Hinckley, who lived 97 1/2 years. I thought about what a wonderful idea this is and how it really could be a boost -- not only am I reading the Book of Mormon, but I'm doing it quickly and as a way to honor a beloved prophet and leader.

Then I remembered something else on the other end of the spiritual spectrum. We keep seeing commercials for a show (Lipstick Jungle) that pilots this Thursday. The commercials are very offensive and inappropriate for public TV. I've been meaning to contact NBC and KSL (the local affiliate) to complain, and I keep forgetting. So, today when I got home from church I got right on the Internet and wrote complaints to NBC and KSL and actually filed a formal complaint with the FCC for the commercials I've seen. To file a complaint with the FCC you have to be very specific, so I had to try to remember the smut I'd seen on these commericals.

It felt great to take action against something so important. However, I realized very quickly the extremes of the day and am grateful that my next 97 days will be dedicated to the spiritual high aspect instead of watching a new show that will drive the spirit from my home.

In case you're interested in voicing your opinion about it or any other indecency you see on TV, I contacted NBC through their Web site in an online form, I sent an e-mail to the KSL TV station manager via their online form, and I sent an FCC complaint via http://www.parentstv.org/.

And while I'm talking about decency, let me mention two Web sites that help us as parents. The first is the one I just mentioned, www.parentstv.org. You can go there to find their recommendation on any public TV show, and whether or not it contains violence, nudity, language, etc. They give it a red, yellow or green light for children. The other site I have used for years is www.screenit.com. On that site you can look up any movie and find out very specifically what is included -- it breaks down violence, disrespectful behavior, imitative behavior, nudity, sex, language, etc., etc., etc. I LOVE it and we are able to avoid a lot of good movies with only a bad part that way. (Think of the Mormonad with the cockroach in the middle of the ice cream sundae -- one bad part is really enough to ruin the whole thing!) Now if only they would rate plays so I don't end up going to one like Gypsy again ... good thing we were in Utah for that one so it wasn't indecent! :)

No comments: