A whole bunch about us you may have never wanted to know.

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Marrige Adjustments

On my last post I mentioned how marriage has changed me. Yes, I fall asleep in a heartbeat if it's quiet and comfy and I'm wrapped up in a blanket. Somehow last night that made me remember the biggest adjustment I had to getting married -- sharing the covers!

Obviously I was used to having the covers all to myself. I hadn't shared a bed since I was something like 6 years old when my sister and I had a queen bed together. (And when you're 6 a queen bed is A LOT bigger than it is now!) Anyway, I loved having the covers all tucked around me so I could get toasty warm.

Well, when I got married I couldn't believe how, well, drafty it was. I could tuck around me on my side, but then there was this space between me and Paul that just let the air right in. It drove me nuts! The draftiness no longer bothers me, but I'm not sure if it's because I'm used to it or because I've figured out a way to make it less drafty. Doesn't matter, I suppose.

The other problem we had was that the covers just didn't seem big enough. It was annoying enough that I nearly went and bought a king size sheet and comforter just so we could both have as much as we wanted. However, I realized that still wouldn't work, because when Paul turns over, he takes the covers with him! Yes, that's right -- he doesn't turn over under the covers, he grabs the covers and takes them with him when he turns over. That problem has been resolved, too. I think he's stopped taking the sheet with him when he turns over, much to my delight. Those are the kinds of changes I like to see in my man! :)

Another problem we had was that he always wanted warmer covers than I do. If we use his choice of blankets, then I'm too hot. If we use my choice, then he's too cold. What's a couple to do? Needless to say, we found a great solution. We share a sheet and have our own blankets. I'm not really sure how this happened, but I have a blanket that's not too heavy (and it's nice and smooth :), and he has the comforter on. Somehow this arrangement works perfectly.

I guess it only took us seven years to figure out this solution. Fortunately it wasn't interrupting our sleep or anything, but now we can say we sleep in peaceful bliss ... :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Totally understand your adjustments...we finally got a King size bed and I wonder how we use to mange on a queen. I still sleep on the edge of the bed to have "my space"! I now have a hard time sleeping from the snoring! ARG! I sleep through it but, I realize when Scott's out of town I get much better sleep!

Melissa said...

Denise,
I absolutely love reading your posts. They are funny and well-written, thoughtful and applicable to our family, often. Thank you for using your PR talents to inspire all of us!! Love, M